Monday, January 4, 2010

Of the Outdoors

Since my last slightly morbid post I have tried to put my life in perspective and, pepper over it some positivity (don’t know if it’s a word, but it seems the best fit). But being an inherently negative person, the positivity is quite minimal. Ergo my grand plans of appreciating the color of the sky, the quirkiness of human-nature, the sound of flying birds and blah… blah… blah… didn’t last longer than a few hours. But as long as it did last, it ended up giving me quite a roaring migraine. And as usual this unique incident led to the reminiscing of the minimal other experiences in my life which of course sprouted forth a few more questions and theories.

1. It’s commonly said and believed, the minute you want to take a photograph of a particularly beautiful moment, and you have already stopped appreciating it. But we always carry our cameras whenever we go on a trip or to a special occasion. Does that mean we don’t want to experience/ appreciate beauty?
2. If it is for the sake of nostalgia, why take a picture of something you’ve already stopped appreciating?
3. Why would a person ridiculously scared of / disgusted by insects (which most of us are) go on a camping trip? I mean you obviously don’t want them in your domain, why go out in theirs’ and then scream bloody murder?
4. Why is it that people are uncommonly excited about getting wet in the rain? I mean how different is it from a shower? If we still end up comparing the two, isn’t a shower better? The water in the shower is not a mildly corrosive acid. You get to frolic without you clothes on. And finally, people don’t gawk at you like you are stupid. It looks to be a no brainer!!!

All these points said, my final conjecture is that I have become too citified for my own liking. So I have decided to pack up my lotions and heavy socks and long pants and go on a nature trip. The primary purpose of course being - the ‘appreciation of nature’ and the secondary being – proving my above theories. I am naturally taking my camera with me… because knowing me, I might just need it.

2 comments:

  1. Your pessimism is oozing out of the words!!! And as far as the first point goes, I totally disagree. The guy who made the statement surely never indulged himself in any sort of logical thinking in his life!!! It's paradoxical and makes no sense actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... But just think about it...If you are enjoying something, you tend forget everything else ( including your camera)... So the idea is if you are reaching for your camera you are out of that moment.

    ReplyDelete